On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 1:23:22 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 May 2019, at 08:13, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> https://aeon.co/ideas/how-the-dualism-of-descartes-ruined-our-mental-health
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Faeon.co%2Fideas%2Fhow-the-dualism-of-descartes-ruined-our-mental-health&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHE2JiWV3LHmz8TKy5ZflJKDY5x1Q>
> Nature was thereby drained of her inner life, rendered a deaf and blind
> apparatus of indifferent and value-free law, and humankind was faced with a
> world of inanimate, meaningless matter, upon which it projected its psyche
> – its aliveness, meaning and purpose – only in fantasy.
> The bifurcation of mind and nature was at the root of immeasurable secular
> progress – medical and technological advance, the rise of individual rights
> and social justice, to name just a few. It also protected us all from being
> bound up in the inherent uncertainty and flux of nature. It gave us a
> certain omnipotence – just as it gave science empirical control over nature
> – and most of us readily accept, and willingly spend, the inheritance
> bequeathed by it, and rightly so.
>
> In the face of an indifferent and unresponsive world that neglects to
> render our experience meaningful outside of our own minds – for
> nature-as-mechanism is powerless to do this –
>

> Yes, nature does not even exist as mechanism, so the notion of
> “nature-as-mechanism” is globally non sensical, yet locally, it works for
> person supported by highly probable computations, but nature becomes a
> projection, like in a dream.
>

> our minds have been left fixated on empty representations of a world that
> was once its source and being.
>

> That is due to the reductionist conception of machine and number. Today,
> we can defeat it, mathematically.
>

> All we have, if we are lucky to have them, are therapists and parents who
> try to take on what is, in reality, and given the magnitude of the loss, an
> impossible task.
>

> The loss is due to the separation of theology from science, and the
> impeaching of the fundamental questioning for a long period.
> That has led to the separation of human sciences and exact science, making
> them both into pseudo-metaphysics and pseudo-religion. Then we see only the
> “superficial” technologies, without understanding of what they implies. To
> separate science and theologies is a con artist trick to steal your money,
> and in passing, your soul.
>
> When “equated” with the machine, the negative pessimist will say, “oh
> damned I am only a machine”, but the positive optimistic will say, “nice,
> so machine can be as nice as I am”.
>
> The interesting thing is only that this can be tested. Mechanism has
> observable consequences.
>
> Bruno

> "How did we ever get the notion of the mind as something distinct from the
> body? Why did this bad idea enter our culture?”
>
> -- Richard Rorty
> [...]
The problem (aligning with the above article by psychotherapist James
Barnes [ https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-barnes-msc-ma-90766b159/ ]) is
that there is no (A) mind *and* the body (or matter), there are (B)
experiences *of* the body (matter).

Speaking in the terminology of (A) has harmed mental health.

(Now one can be an experience-monist psychotherapist - everything is
experience - but then the therapist has to explain to the patient why they
need a particular drug prescription.)

@philipthrift