On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 7:06:25 PM UTC+10, Cosmin Visan wrote:

> These are interesting things that you say, and indeed I'm postponing for a
> while the wearing of the colored glasses for a week, primarily because I
> would look weird at work with colored glasses all the time. But sooner or
> later I will do the experiment, because it is also my belief that the
> selected color will vanish.

Awesome! I don't have the commitment myself, but I'll sure be interested to
hear how that turns out :)

> Also, you ask what colors the dog will see. I believe it will be yellow
> and blue. The reasons I'm giving in my paper "Is Qualia Meaning or
> Understanding?" with reference to the Haidinger's Brush phenomenon, which
> is yellow and blue: https://philpeople.org/profiles/cosmin-visan If you
> read it, I'm very curious what you think. I'm also talking about red, green
> and most of the stuff that you mentioned.
>
> Though in the end there is a problem with this relational ontology. Indeed
> red might disappear if you wear those glasses, because there would be no
> relation to other colors. But what do you do when you talk about the full
> experience of being conscious ? That experience, in itself, cannot be
> compared to anything else, because by definition it is the full experience.
> How is it maintained ? I'm also curious what the answer is.
>
> You overlook a lot of complexity when you make sweeping statements about
"the full experience of being conscious." Do you mean a person's full
experience in a given moment? Because surely that experience is an
aggregation of qualia, with both internal relations (say between red and
blue colour elements in the visual field), and relations with prior
experiences. For example the feeling I have when I look at my dog right now
is a highly complex aggregate of relationships with prior memories of her,
other dogs, with innumerable experiences too complex and various to mention
which are compressed into a kind of qualitative summary which is the
feeling I have looking at her. My experience of the current moment in its
totality is an inter-related collection of such relationships between the
current and prior moments and experiences. Does this network of
relationships in consciousness end at some primary irreducible atom of
consciousness with the intrinsic property of being conscious? I say no. I
say that that that web of relations ultimately merges into the infinite web
of relations that is the cosmos, a web that has no fundamental properties
that can be named or expressed in finite form.