On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:42:20 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> On 9/10/2019 6:25 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 6:17:06 AM UTC-5, Lawrence Crowell
> wrote:

>>> Show me the reasoning ability. Nothing miraculous in recognizing the
>>> questions beforehand, and giving accurate replies. AG
>>>

>> Algorithms are if anything formal systems of reasoning. A computer
>> follows a sequenced set of logical instructions that emulate reasoning, and
>> could be said to be a scripted system of reasoning. What is more difficult
>> to know is if there is anything really conscious in this.
>>
>> LC
>>

> Deep nets are "algorithms" too. One can print out the gazillion weights of
> the "neural" sigmoid functions of the connections after it has
> deep-learned. That's just an algorithm that a human couldn't read very
> well, because if it is printed out, would be quite big.
>

> And its reasoning is more like human intuition.  In general, it can't
> explain its process in a way that you could adopt it.
>
> Brent

DeepNets also include modularity and interpretability:

@ Google Research

https://ai.googleblog.com/2019/09/recursive-sketches-for-modular-deep.html
https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/03/the-building-blocks-of-interpretability.html

So maybe they will report "explanations" soon. maybe better than humans can
their own.

@philipthrift