On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 12:53 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> have enough information to realize all the non-zero states on the diagonal
>>> and so only a few can be realized and that realization is per the Born
>>> rule.  This is what Carroll would dismiss as a "disappearing world
>>> interpretation"; but it would provide a physical principle for why worlds
>>> disappear, i.e. branches of lowest probability are continually pruned.
>>>

>> I don't think this is exactly what Zurek is arguing. He mentions
>> Halliwell, but is concerned more with Quantum Darwism, which is an account
>> of the records left in the environment by the system, than with the effects
>> of decoherence on the system itself -- as would be the case if the limits
>> on environmental information set some probabilities to zero. He says:
>>
>> "Copying yields branches of records inscribed in subsystems of E. Initial
>> superposition yields superposition of branches, so there is no literal
>> collapse. However, fragments of E can reveal only one branch (and not their
>> superposition). Such evidence will suggest 'quantum jump' from
>> superposition to a single  outcome...."
>>
>> So it is the fact that our access is limited to only fragments of the the
>> entire environment that leads to the perception of collapse -- our
>> inability to see the superposition, or to reverse the measurement. If you
>> take only a portion of the complete state you certainly reduce the pure
>> state to a mixture. This is not a particularly new position, being in line
>> with the IGUS ideas of Gell-Mann and others.
>>

>> That seems to be the same as MWI. Our access is limited because we are in
>> a relative state...so each copy me has limited access.  Yet he refers to
>> "the myth of multiple worlds".
>>

> Our access is limited because we are finite beings, with limited
> information capacity. Sure, you can imagine that the other "relative
> states" exist in the same way that we do, but I would take the view that
> since we cannot in principle access these other states, and they can, in
> principle, have no effect on us and our physics, then they are essentially
> non-existent. Or rather, their existence is a metaphysical matter, not a
> subject of physics.
>
> There was a time when I thought that MWI might mean more than this,
> because many MWI enthusiasts claim that many worlds does away with Bell
> non-locality -- giving a purely local explanation for violations of the
> Bell inequalities.
>

> Have you read Carroll's book?  I was surprised that he drew two diagrams
> of a Bell experiment.  In one he shows the world splitting instantaneously
> (non-locally) and in the other the split propagating within the forward
> light-cone.  He writes that it doesn't matter which??  I have always
> imagined the "split" as propagating, since the spread of decoherence must
> be at the speed of light or less...which I suppose is what is meant by
> "local".  It is only in the future overlap of lightcones that the
> non-orthogonal "worlds" (subspaces) cancel out by interference.

I haven't read Carroll's book, it isn't released in Australia until
November. I would be interested to see if he has a better account of Bell
non-locality than Wallace. About the spread of "splitting": decoherence is
a local physical interaction -- photons interacting with walls and the
like. This clearly spreads at the speed of light (or less). But splitting
is not really just decoherence. The trouble with Bell non-locality is that
the splitting of worlds is not a physical interaction like decoherence.
Bruno and others speak about a "spread of entanglement" as being associated
with the splitting. But again, entanglement is the result of physical
interaction, and the interaction of looking at a pointer to see a result is
not really an entanglement interaction. I think that there is a lot of
loose thinking about this "splitting" process.

The absence of disallowed branches (Alice and Bob both seeing spin-up with
aligned polarisers) is not a matter of worlds (branches) cancelling by
destructive interference, because there is no interaction -- the light
carrying information from the space like separated measurements is not
coherent, so it can't interfere. If it were coherent, allowing
interference, then that coherence itself would indicate non-locality.

> This, to my mind, was the last gasp of MWI realists -- and that hope has
> been dashed. First, because Bruno has resolutely been unable to give any
> such local account, even in MWI; and second, extensive searches of the MWI
> literature have shown many claims, and also the same number of failed
> analyses. The final straw came recently when I read David Wallace's 2012
> book, "The Emergent Multiverse". In Sections 8.5 and following of that book
> he confidently proclaims that Everett banishes non-locality, but he totally
> wimps out on giving any sort of an account, even a half-plausible one.
> Section 8.7 is one of the most disappointing accounts of Aspect's
> experiments that I have ever read.
>

> I haven't read Wallace.

It is the most irritating of books because of the arrogant triumphalism
regarding many worlds.

> So MWI has no practical application -- it is pure metaphysics, and can be
> relegated to the dustbin of history, along with celestial spheres and
> phlogiston.
>

> I'm not so dismissive of philosophy.  I think it's role is in suggesting
> ways extend or improve or replace theories.  In the case of Everett's
> relative state, it suggested decoherence and quantum Darwinism which I
> think have gone a long way to answering the questions of preferred pointer
> states and the Heisenberg cut.

I don't think these advances have come through philosophy. They have come
through physics -- taking the quantum nature of the measuring apparatus and
the observer seriously. Metaphysics is not physics -- if it makes a
difference, it is physics. All else is padding.....

Bruce