On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:30 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The MWI needs renormalization just like its competitors, but nobody
>> said many-worlds theory is the be all and end all and needs no
>> improvement, but at least it provides a quantum-mechanical model however
>> imperfect it may be.
>>

> *> So, in accordance with the logic you used above to be dismissive of
> path integral methods, MWI is entirely in sympathy with the Shut Up And
> Calculate Interpretation?*

No, MWI is entirely unsympathetic with Shut Up And Calculate however it is
needed at least for part of it, at least for now, but at least it's trying
to find something better, the other ones have given up. And Many Worlds
doesn't have to worry about why the Schrodinger wave equation behaves
differently when it is being observed as the other interpretations must,
Carroll explains why this is true in his hour long talk that nobody except
me seems to have watched even though it's supposed to be the subject of
this thread. And of course nobody but me has bothered to read his book, but
everybody has an opinion about it.

>> I think it's a important step toward a theory that is significantly less
>> wrong. I am, of course, not sure of that.
>>

> *>I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps you could be more tolerant of alternative
> views?*

I am tolerant of alternative views as long as they are not in conflict with
experimental results, if several theories make the same prediction I'm not
embarrassed to say I favor those with the fewest assumptions, and Many
Worlds is very cheap with assumptions, yes that results in it being
expensive in universes but in my opinion that's worth it. And some things
are not views at all they're gibberish, I freely admit I have nothing but
contempt for that.

 John K Clark