On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no idea what the difference is between "text-book" realism and
> "Eisteinian realism" is and I don't think you do either, in physics there
> is just realism and nonrealism. And you don't give any definition of
> "Realism" at all, you just say I'm wrong; but Wikipedia agrees with my
> definition of the word, it says:
>
> "*R**ealism is "counterfactual definiteness", the idea that it is
> possible to meaningfully describe as definite the result of a measurement
> which, in fact, has not been performed (i.e. the ability to assume the
> existence of objects, and assign values to their properties, even when they
> have not been measured)*.

Gosh, you must have had to troll through an awful lot of stuff on Wikipedia
to find that particular definition of realism. I suggest you look for
"scientific realism" instead of that self-serving nonsense.

Scientific realism involves the two basic positions. First, it is a set of
claims about the features of an ideal scientific theory; an ideal theory is
the sort of theory science aims to produce. Second, it is the commitment
that science will eventually produce theories very much like an ideal
theory and that science has done pretty well thus far in some domains. It
is important to note that one might be a scientific realist regarding some
sciences while not being a realist regarding others.

According to scientific realism, an ideal scientific theory has the
following features:

   - The claims the theory makes are either true or false, depending on
   whether the entities talked about by the theory exist and are correctly
   described by the theory. This is the semantic
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic> commitment of scientific
   realism.
   - The entities described by the scientific theory exist objectively and
   mind-independently. This is the metaphysical
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics> commitment of scientific
   realism.
   - There are reasons to believe some significant portion of what the
   theory says. This is the  epistemological
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology> commitment.

Combining the first and the second claim entails
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_consequence> that an ideal
scientific theory says definite things about genuinely existing entities.
The third claim says that we have reasons to believe that many scientific
claims about these entities are true, but not all.

Bruce
PS. Insults are often the only possible response to trolling behaviour.