On 1/6/2020 2:46 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 2:17:04 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 1/6/2020 7:30 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
    > nonmaterial
    >
    >   not material or composed of matter
    >
    > (Collins Dictionary)
    >
    > There is nothing for which that is the case. (Materialism)
    >
    > The alternate to that (like fast exists as an entity in a
    nonmaterial realm) is Platonism.

    What about energy, entropy, Lagrangians, wave-functions, distance,...
    To eliminate abstractions would make science impossible, since the
    whole
    point is to develop theories whose predictions go beyond the
    observations they were derived from.

    Brent

These are fictions, as all models are:

*Fictions, Inference, and Realism*
Mauricio Suárez
(in/Fictions and Models: New Essays/)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/11922469.pdf

(I can't believe what physicists are taught these days.)

Then how do you know a quark is not a fiction?