On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 10:17:15 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2020, at 23:46, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 2:17:04 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 1/6/2020 7:30 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>> > nonmaterial
>> >
>> >   not material or composed of matter
>> >
>> > (Collins Dictionary)
>> >
>> > There is nothing for which that is the case. (Materialism)
>> >
>> > The alternate to that (like fast exists as an entity in a nonmaterial
>> realm) is Platonism.
>>
>> What about energy, entropy, Lagrangians, wave-functions, distance,...
>> To eliminate abstractions would make science impossible, since the whole
>> point is to develop theories whose predictions go beyond the
>> observations they were derived from.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> These are fictions,
>

> Using that term is a bit dishonest, because it requires an implicit notion
> or criteria of truth, which is not given, still less postulated.
>
> That is a problem with the separation of science and philosophy/theology,
> philosophers and fake theologians (not all are) talk like if they knew the
> truth, instead of providing a testable, or comprehensible, theory.
>
> Mechanism illustrates that a theory of qualia is “indirectly” testable by
> its sharable (quanta) parts.
>
> Philosophy should not be used to avoid the testing of hypotheses.
>
> Bruno
>

> as all models are:
>
> *Fictions, Inference, and Realism*
> Mauricio Suárez
> (in* Fictions and Models: New Essays*)
>
> https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/11922469.pdf
>
> (I can't believe what physicists are taught these days.)

I just use 'fiction' as it's used in philosophy

     https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fictionalism/

Maybe not the best term they came up with, but Quine called (current)
physics 'myth' (in Two Dogmas), so at least 'fiction' seems better than
'myth'.

Some might like the term 'abstraction',  but it's the same from a
neopragmatism perspective.

@philipthrift