Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> Suppose you're sitting at the origin of a one-dimension space. A line
> 100 meters long will increase 1 meter per unit time if the rate of
> expansion is 1% per unit time. If the line is a 1000 meters long, the end
> point moves away 10 meters per unit time, and so forth. So if the line is
> long enough, the length will eventually increase more than 300,000 km, for
> any rate of expansion per unit time. 300,000 km is the distance light
> travels in one second. Thus, the end point will eventually increase in
> distance more than can be overcome by light traveling at c. This is what I
> mean by a purely geometric effect. Brent showed me this awhile back, and it
> was an A-HA moment!  Winking out of distant galaxies does NOT depend on the
> rate of expansion; only that it continues. AG *

OK suppose you look to your right as far as you can and measure the
temperature at that point, and then look to the left and do the same thing.
You will find that the two temperatures are the same to one part in a
hundred thousand; and yet if inflation is wrong and the universal expansion
rate was always about what it is now those 2 points could have NEVER been
in casual contact with each other. So why are the two temperatures so
similar?

 John K Clark