On 1/13/2020 2:10 AM, Alan Grayson wrote:

                The model says that a subset of the universe starts
                small and gets bigger. This is not inconsistent with
                the whole universe starting and remaining infinite in
                spatial extent.
-- Stathis Papaioannou

            *I thought I made that clear; what I am calling "the
            universe" is precisely the SUBSET you refer to, which
            starts small and gets bigger. It is THAT SUBSET which
            cosmologists claim has infinite spatial extent, based on
            measurements. *

First, a proper subset of an infinite set can also be infinite (in fact that's one definition of "infinite").  Second, nobody measures an infinite portion of the universe.  We can only measure the curvature of the part we can see. Third, it is not clear what is THAT SUBSET to which you refer.  Cosmologists are aware that only an initially infinite subset of space can be infinite after a finite expansion.  They refer to a part of the universe that is beyond observation as being within the "particle horizon" because it consists of the evolved locations of things which are seen now as they were 14 billion years ago.  Those things are now 49 billion light years away due to the expansion...which is sometimes referred to as the present diameter of the observable universe.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_horizon

Brent

            *What you're calling "the whole universe" includes the
            underlying entity on which the BB started, and on which
            measurements CANNOT be made. It could be infinite in
            spatial extent, or is possibly an entity for which the
            concept of spatial extent might not exist. AG*