On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 11:20:41 AM UTC-7, Brent wrote:

> On 1/13/2020 2:21 AM, Alan Grayson wrote:
>
> *Forget about matter. I am discussing spatial extent. If it starts small,
> and expands at any rate less than infinite, its spatial extent cannot be
> infinite. AG *
>

> But so what?  What is "it"?  and what are you worried about?  If "it" is
> some portion of the universe we can see, it's finite.  The inference that
> the universe is infinite is based on curvature measure in the part we can
> see.

*IT, the universe, has (IMO) a very small but positive curvature, which is
what we measure. Since we can't precisely measure zero curvature, as JC
earlier stated, there's no way to distinguish the two cases -- flat and
infinite in spatial extent versus spherical and finite in spatial extent --
on measurements. But since flat and infinite at the instant of the BB
implies a singularity, I reject that model. AG *