On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 12:55:04 PM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:08 PM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> *> There are systems for which the eigen spectrum of possible experimental
>> outcomes is continuous, thus infinite. AG *
>>

> If infinite distances makes you squeamish I don't see how you can
> consistently embrace infinite outcomes. And besides this is not
> mathematics, in physics nothing is provably infinite, nobody has ever
> found an infinite number of anything.
>
> John K Clark

*It's not a matter of, or a case of being squeamish with infinite outcomes.
I just don't see how cosmologists can claim the universe is flat -- which
means infinite in spatial extent -- if it starts small and expands for a
finite time. OTOH, one can claim, as Brent does, that it's infinite in
spatial extent from the start. But this is a singularity at the creation
time, the BB. A process which results in infinite spatial extent cannot
take in place in finite time, or in the case of the BB, in zero time. AG*