    <mailto:smi...@zonnet.nl>> wrote:

    >> On 08-02-2020 05:19, Bruce Kellett wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, I am suggesting that Many-worlds is a failed theory, unable to
    >>> account for everyday experience. A stochastic single-world theory
    >> is
    >>> perfectly able to account for what we see.
    >>>
    >>> Bruce
    >>
    >> Stochastic single word theories make predictions that violate those
    >> of
    >> quantum mechanics.
    >
    > No they don't. When have violations of the quantum predictions been
    > observed?

    A single world theory must violate unitary time evolution, it has to
    assume a violation of the Schrodinger equation. But there is no
    experimental evidence for violations of the Schrodinger equation.
    While
    one can make such assumptions and develop a formalism based on
    this, the
    issue is then that in the absence of experimental proof that the
    Schrodinger equation is going to be violated, one should not claim
    that
    such a model is superior than another model that doesn't imply any
    new
    physics.

So what. If Everettian QM doesn't work, as it has been shown to fail in that is does not recover normal scientific practice, then one must look to alternative theories. I have not advocated any particular theory, but a break down of unitary evolution is not such a big deal -- it is what we observe every day, after all. This is the heart of the quantum measurement problem.

    The MWI may have some philosophical weaknesses like the derivation of
    the Born rule but the pragmatic variant of it where you just
    assume the
    Born rule is clearly superior to any other model where you're
    going to
    just assume that the known laws of physics are going to be
    violated to
    get to a model that to you looks more desirable from a philosophical
    point of view.

The trouble is that even postulating the Born rule, ad hoc as in Copenhagen, does not get you out of the problems with Everett. As long as one follows Everett and assumes one branch for each component of the superposition, one is going to fail to explain normal scientific practice. If one follows Brent and Bruno and assumes that there are multiple branches for each experimental result, then one has lost touch with the Schrodinger equation anyway, Everett is out of the window, and there are still problems with the definition of probability.

I think Bruno's hope is to recover the Schroedinger equation as a kind of stat-mech limit of his universal dovetailer threads.  This might comport with Zurek's idea of quantum Darwinism.