On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 7:29:04 AM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:02 PM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> *>>> how does mechanism reduce the apparent indeterminacy to the

>> *> I was referring to "mechanism" as Bruno defines it; namely, that a
>> human being can be replicated by a computer. AG*
>>

> I was never sure what Bruno meant by the word but if that's what you mean
> then the answer to your original question above is obvious, Chaos Theory
> and the fact that calculations take time and you can't know what the result
> of a calculation you're making will be until you've finished making the
> calculation.
>
>  John K Clark

*IMO, there's nothing mysterious about Bruno's definition of mechanism.
It's what's generally believed by most physicists; namely, that everything
in the universe can be explained by the interaction of particles (and
waves), and its possible extension; namely, that a human being can be
copied by computers and appropriate algorithms.  I would add that Bruno
doesn't necessary affirm mechanism, which is a prudent decision since it's
obviously false. Although one must assume the existence of space and time
when using a computer, but one cannot create them using a computer. AG*