From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2020 11:40 am
Subject: Re: Quantum Computers

On 20 Apr 2020, at 03:09, spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Now all is has to do is work far better than digital computing.

Quantum computing is still digital computing.
A Quantum Computer does not violate the Church-Turing thesis, and it obeys to
whatever we can prove (a lot) about limitations and possibilities of digital
machines.
What a QC can do, and no Classical machine seem able to do, is to simulate in
polynomial time any natural process, not even the quantum vacuum, but this is
what classical computation theory predicts, when we assume mechanism in
cognitive science, as any piece of matter is “made of” (“emerges on”)
infinitely many computations.
In my opinion, quantum computers will exist, but that might take a long time. I
agree with Clark that eventually that will be a machine using quantum
topological qubits, and the first one will be a gigantic machine, then they
will get smaller and smaller, but that too will take sometime.
What will happen sooner will be some classical computer having some quantum
gates, for some particular task. Nearby (from my office) a team works hard to
just make a “true” quantum random generator, but that is already an immensely
complex endeavour.
Of course, the actual miniaturisation of the classical computer is already a
prowess of quantum mechanics. Even the transistor would not have been possible
without quantum mechanics.
Bruno