On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:39 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 6:26 AM Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 9:20:36 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently wrote an article on the size of the universe and the scope of
>>> reality:
>>> https://alwaysasking.com/how-big-is-the-universe/
>>>
>>> It's first of what I hope will be a series of articles which are
>>> largely inspired by some of the conversations I've enjoyed here. It covers
>>> many topics including the historic discoveries, the big bang, inflation,
>>> string theory, and mathematical realism.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>

>> I see you agree with the MUH that there are infinite, identical repeats
>> of any universe.
>>

> To be clear, the MUH is separate theory from the idea of a spatially
> infinite universe (which is just the standard cosmological model that
> working cosmologists assume today, that the universe is infinite,
> homogeneous, and seeded by random quantum fluctuations occurring at all
> scales during the expansion of the universe).

Define what you mean by "quantum fluctuations". There are no such things in
standard quantum mechanics.

>> I tend to think the opposite is true; namely, that in an infinite
>> universe, there are no identical repeats; that is, every universe is
>> unique. I've seen that the theory of infinite repeats is often "repeated",
>> but where is the proof? AG
>>

> The idea is not that the universe itself repeats, only that any finite
> volume in that space repeats. This can be proved from the pigeon hole
> principle (which can prove that there is at least one repeat). The proof is
> as follows.
>
> Let's consider a volume of the mass and size of the Earth. That is a
> sphere with a radius of 6,371 km and a mass of 5.8 × 10^24 kg. According to
> Jacob
> Bekenstein's bound <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekenstein_bound>, the
> total number of distinct quantum states possible is given by: 2.57 * 10^43
> bits per (kg * meter).
>
> For Earth that works out to: 2.57 × 10^43 bits/(kg * meter) * 5.8 × 10^24
> kg * 6,371,000 meters = 9.49 × 10^74 bits.
>
> Given that many bits, it means there are 2 to the power of (9.49 × 10^74),
> let's say 2^(10^75), possible configurations for an Earth-sized object of
> similar mass and volume.  It's a large, but finite number. Let's call this
> number *N = 2^(10^75)*.
>
> If the universe is infinite, and contains infinite numbers of planets,
> then there is a finite number of possibilities equal to *N*. Let's assume
> the first *N* such planets are all unique and different from each other.
> The problem occurs once you get that *(N+1)*th planet. It can't be unique
> from all the other *N* planets which came before it, since there are only
> *N* possibilities. Therefore it has to be identical to one of the other
> *N* planets.

That does not preclude the possibility of infinite repeats of just one of
the states -- all others being unique. To have repeats of every possible
state requires very strong homogeneity assumptions; assumptions that cannot
ever be justified.

Bruce