> On 7 Aug 2020, at 00:52, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> 8 | DISCUSSION As hospitals around the globe have filled with patients with
> COVID-19, front line providers remain without effective therapeutic tools to
> directly combat the disease. The initial anecdotal reports out of China led
> to the initial wide uptake of HCQ and to a lesser extent CQ for many
> hospitalized patients with COVID-19 around the globe. As more data have
> become available, enthusiasm for these medications has been tempered. Well
> designed, large randomized controlled trials are needed to help determine
> what role, if any, these medications should have in treating COVID-19 moving
> forwards.     While HCQ has in vitro activity against a number of viruses, it
> does not act like more typical nucleoside/tide antiviral drugs. For instance,
> HCQ is not thought to act on the critical viral enzymes including the
> RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, helicase, or proteases. Despite in vitro
> activity against influenza, in a large high quality randomized controlled
> trial, it showed no clinical benefit, suggesting that similar discordance
> between in vitro and in vivo observations is possible for SARS-CoV and
> SARS-CoV-273 (Table 3).
>

> Additionally, HCQ and especially CQ have cardiovascular and other risks,
> particularly when these agents are used at high doses or combined with
> certain other agents. While large scale studies have demonstrated that
> long-term treatment with CQ or HCQ does not increase the incidence of
> infection, caution should be exercised in extrapolating safety from the
> studies of chronic administration to largely healthy individuals to estimate
> the risk associated with short-course treatment in acutely  and severely ill
> patients. Furthermore, the immunologic actions that make HCQ an important
> drug for the treatment of auto-immune diseases might have unintended
> consequences when it is used for patients with COVID-19. The effects of this
> immune modulation on patients with COVID-19 are unknown at this time,
> including a potential negative impact on antiviral innate and adaptive immune
> in the context of accumulating preclinical and clinical data, we recommend
> that HCQ only be used for COVID-19 in the context of a carefully constructed
> randomized clinical trial. If this agent is used outside of a clinical trial,
> the risks and benefits should be rigorously weighed on a case-by-case basis
> and reviewed in light of both the immune dysfunction induced by the virus and
> known antiviral and immune modulatory actions of HCQ.
>
> https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1096/fj.202000919
> <https://faseb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1096/fj.202000919>

Just to be sure, I have no problem with this. My point is just that today,
there are studies indicating that HCQ might be slightly better than Remdesevir,
and that the Media are wrong when mocking Trump on HCQ in some systematic way.
Most people in the virology community defending HCQ are not favorable to the
preventive use of HCQ, and propose precise protocol to be used, and actually,
claims that it asks for a higher doze than its usual use, justifying a medical
prescription. Only doctors could use it. And yes, that can have advert effect,
but according to Raoult, they are slightly less severe than the one
accompanying Remdesevir.

Some Media makes me nervous because they argument seems to be just “Trump said
x” so x is stupid”, which is of course a stupid argument, even if without any
other information it makes some abductive sense (I do not disagree with Clark
on this).
Now, I would not take any statement made by the FDA for granted, as they have
nothing to envy in Trump’s prowess in the art of lying…
Here there is a general point: a president or any politician should never
mention by name a medication or an health treatment. That should be in the hand
of the people and the physicians or shaman.

The founders got it right:

"If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who lives under Tyranny." -- Thomas Jefferson.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bound of reason in that it attempts to control
a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not
crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our
government was founded" -Abraham Lincoln.

Bruno