When I was a kid my favorite Saturday morning cartoon was Rocky and
Bullwinkle. The characters Boris and Natashia were Russian-like and they
were always up to mischief. The Russians since the time of the 19th century
Tsars did this sort of thing, and they were sort of good at it. Even today
indictments against Russian agents who engaged in cyber-attacks were
brought forth.

Klaus Fuchs was an interesting character, and his motivations for giving
the atomic bomb secrets to the USSR were complicated. He was to a degree
motivated by a worry that if one nation in the world possessed this weapon
the temptation to use it to further expansion would be too much. The
conditions of the world were very different then. The United States stood
in an unassailable position, economically, politically and militarily. The
USSR was powerful, but largely in shear mass and numbers. The red army was
huge and battered its way into the eastern part of the Nazi empire in 1945.
Russia suffered enormous casualties and material destruction and they ended
up occupying the weaker and damaged eastern European regions. The old news
reels showing a red tide moving across eastern Europe were in some ways not
that surprising; E. Germany, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia etc were weak,
damaged and in the few post war years the within the US/UK there was not a
lot of political interest in these regions.  The USSR really saw their
situation as very secondary to the US and getting the bomb was at a
premium. Fuchs saw the potential asymmetry of a nuclear US unipolar power
as dangerous. So A + B = C happened.

After the Korean war, which in a way cemented in the world order of post
WWII, things more or less stabilized as far as communist take overs. There
were some things going on in SE Asia, and the US of course way over reacted
which got us into the Vietnam War. However, communism largely slowed its
progression in the world as people saw the problems with it. The
attractiveness of communism began to wane.

LC