> On 30 Apr 2021, at 20:47, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 4/30/2021 4:19 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> If a program can be said to "know" something then can we also say it is
>>> conscious of that thing?
>
> That's not even common parlance.  Conscious thoughts are fleeting.  Knowledge
> is in memory.  I know how to ride a bicycle because I do it unconsciously.  I
> don't think consciousness can be understood except as a surface or boundary
> of the subconscious and the unconscious (physics).

If you use physics, you have to explain what it is, and how that select the
computations in arithmetic, or you need to abandon mechanism. With mechanism,
to claim that a machine consciousness is not attributable to some universal
machinery, despite they do execute a computation, in the only mathematical
sense discovered by Church and Turing (and some others) seem a bit magical.

Note that you don’t quote me, above. You should have quoted my answer. The
beauty of Mechanism is that the oldest definition of (rational)  knowledge
(Theaetetus true (justified) opinion) already explain why no machine can define
its own knowledge, why consciousness seems necessarily mysterious, and why we
get that persistent feeling that we belong to a physical reality, when in fact
we are just infinitely many numbers involved in complex relations.

Bruno