I agree that solving the folding of protein problem is a huge
accomplishment. To get consciousness you need to apply DeepMind on itself,
and wait. That will give a sort of "universal baby", and it will get the G*
theology/psychology as long as it remains arithmetically sound.
Consciousness is really just the knowledge (true belief) that there is some
reality, followed by the Löbian understanding that this reality is not
definable "by me", unless introducing some strong hypothesis, like
(digital) Mechanism.
I read that the most powerful version of Alphago, the playing go program
(neural net) is the version which learned by playing only with itself. It
beats completely the version learning from a lot a great player examples.
That was predicted by Mechanism, except that Mechanism did not put a limit
if time for the learning phase.  We are really close to make that universal
baby, and we might get a terrible child, also. It will be like with kids: a
problem of education.