On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This paper  https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0103079.pdf  gives an explicit
> account of an EPR type experiment which says observers are "labeled" so
> that only the compatible observes can communicate.
>
>     So, the splitting of each observer into copies at each measurement
> interaction is represented by the local dynamics of the operators
> describing their states of awareness relative to what they were at the
> initial time t0; in particular, the possibilities for interaction of
> observers of entangled systems are determined by the labels attached to the
> operators. Determination of the number of each type of observer-copy
> produced at each splitting, as well as the specific state of awareness of
> each type of observer-copy, involves information 14 about the initial
> conditions of the system, information which in the Heisenberg picture is
> contained in the time t0 state vector. (DeWitt (1998) emphasizes that
> quantum systems are “described jointly by the dynamical variables and the
> state-vector.”) Just as observers or other entities may be regarded as
> receiving and carrying with them, in a local manner, the labels described
> above, they may also be envisioned as carrying with them in a similarly
> local manner the requisite initial-condition information.
>     Since one cannot argue for the existence of counterfactual instruction
> sets, the conditions of Bell’s theorem do not apply. Had angles other than
> those that actually were used been chosen for the analyzer magnets, copies
> of each observer carrying labels appropriate to those angles would have
> resulted. There are indeed “instruction sets” present; but they determine,
> not the results of experiments which were not performed but, rather, the
> possibilities for interaction and information exchange between the Everett
> copies of the observers who have performed the experiments.
>     Bohr’s reply to EPR can also be reinterpreted in the present context.
> Regarding correlations at a distance, Bohr (1935) states that “of course
> there is in a case like that just considered no question of a mechanical
> disturbance of the system under investigation during the last critical
> stage of the measuring procedure. But even at this stage there is
> essentially the question of an influence on the very conditions which
> define the possible types of predictions regarding the future behavior of
> the system.” The Everett splitting and labeling of each observer
> constitutes just such an influence, determining the possible types of
> interactions with physical systems and observers which the observer can
> experience in the future without in any way producing a “mechanical
> disturbance” of distant entities.
>     The Everett interpretation in the Heisenberg picture thus removes
> nonlocality from the list of conceptual problems of quantum mechanics. The
> idea of viewing the tensor-product factors in the Heisenberg-picture
> operators as in some sense “literally real” introduces, however, a
> [...]

What do you make of this? Others have referred me to the Rubin paper. I
have looked at it, and remain unimpressed. He claims that "Bell's theorem
is avoided because the counterfactual reasoning that leads to it is not
required and cannot be justified."  This is nonsense. Bell's theorem does
not require counterfactual reasoning, and the experiments by Aspect and
others only record the results of measurements that were actually made--
there is no reference to measurements that were not performed at other
angles. Measurements that are not performed have no results.

More seriously, he has an undisguised appeal to magic in statements such as:
"When the two observers -- or, more precisely, the two pairs of
observer-copies -- exchange information about the results of their
measurements, it is the attached labels which ensure that the "correct"
copies of each of the observers interact; e.g., preventing two
observers-copies who have both observed spin-up from communicating."

A more direct appeal to magic is hard to envisage. The 'labels' that he
says the Heisenberg picture attaches do no work that was not
already done by the actual results. Furthermore, there is no indication as
to what interaction occurs when the observers meet, and no indication as to
how this supposed interaction does the work that is required of it. What
happens to the "incorrect" aobserver pairs?

This is unbridled nonsense, and I am sick of responding to nonsense papers
of this sort.

Bruce