Saibal wrote
> [...] it's not appropriate to fix up the theory by introducing notions
from the macroscopic domain that should in principle follow from the
fundamental dynamics at the micro-level. [...]

Brent wrote
> The notion of "result" and "measurement" are not introduced, they are
fundamental to knowledge.  They are exactly where MWI gets into trouble.
[...]

If there is a disagreement, we should take care to clarify what is it
about. A putative reductionist view accepts a theory as fundamental,
perhaps along with some constraints on initial conditions, and claims that
"observer", "result", and "measurement" will emerge. Right?

I think that this cannot work, because there is some unavoidable
approximation in the translation from "a quantum state of a part of the
world" to "this quasi-solid apparatus, observer, and environment (which may
be part of the observer)". With conventional QM, we express this
approximation as the very-very small probability of the apparatus
quantum-tunneling through the floor, and so on. With a MWI, I do not see
how we can formulate this approximation from the reductionist point of view.

So there is a dualism: The supposedly fundamental theory applies to an
imagined, objective world, and it also applies to the world of our
experience. There is a connection of course, because if the latter were
untrue then we could have no clue about the validity of the theory in the
objective world. A key notion here is workability of the theory: that it
tolerates the impossibility of infinite precision, so it works in both
worlds.

Brent continued
> [...] By saying there is no result of an experiment it muddles the
concept of probability.

Although I have seen proposals for introducing probability in a MWI (Zurek,
Vaidman, John K. Clark), they cannot refer to the notion of aleatory
probability, involving randomisation, as when one shuffles a deck of cards
or shakes and rolls dice. On the other hand, conventional QM does assume
that dice are rolled, and so the requisite randomisation is supposedly
introduced, and we can speak of probability proper. Where is the
randomisation in a MWI? (A rhetorical question.) So, there is no
probability (strictly speaking) in a MWI. We can only identify
something-like-probability; I have posted about this subject in a recent
thread.

George K.