On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 10:24 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 07-04-2022 00:58, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> > But then you have the problem of whether "observers" simulated by a
> > quantum computer can actually make measurements. The essence of a
> > measurement is the formation of permanent records in the environment.
>
> It's perfectly possible for an observer to make an observation without
> there being any permanent record. The physical processes that makes
> someone be able to see and feel something has noting to do with the
> formation of permanent records.

One word. Decoherence.

> > Quantum computers cannot do this unless they stop and print out a
> > result. Your quantum computer simulation requires a redefinition of
> > the concept of measurement so that it becomes essentially meaningless.
>
> It forces one to come up with a more reasonable definition of
> measurement.

There is a perfectly reasonable definition of measurement that involves
decoherence and the formation of multiple records in the environment --
quantum Darwinism of Zurek.

> If I observe something, then that's because there is a
> brain that's running the algorithm that corresponds to that observation.
> In the context of the MWI one then needs to assume that there exists
> algorithms for observations made by Alice and Bob which then defines the
> required preferred basis.

The preferred basis is not determined by algorithms -- it is determined by
robustness under decoherence. You can redefine everything so that your
theory is no longer quantum mechanics -- but that is a fairly pointless
exercise.

Bruce