On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 10-04-2022 06:15, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> > Not relevant, since there is no enclosing reflecting boundary.
>
> Yes there is.

Where is it then?

One can also consider an observation inside the event
> horizon of a supermassive black hole. No photons escape from there.

We are not currently inside a supermassive black hole. Besides, you
knowledge of BH physics seems somewhat faulty. Inside the horizon, all
particles move towards the singularity at r = 0 (because that is the
forward direction of time). So there is no reflection off the inside of the
horizon. That is a fanciful (and wrong) idea.

> The escaping Hawking radiation is so small that it doesn't contain much
> information.
>
> And since you are attempting to promote a FAPP argument to an in
> principle argument, you also have to consider that the space environment
> is not a perfect vacuum, so photons do not travel at exactly the speed
> of light. This means that in principle one can retrieve the escaping
> photons

I don;t think the difference between c, the speed of light in a vacuum, and
the speed of light in outer space is a relevant consideration -- you still
are not going to catch and reverse those IR photons.

Bruce