On 12-04-2022 08:52, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:31 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

Now, in previous discussions the argument was made that you can't
consider a simulation of observers in a quantum computer because, by

definition, measurements must be irreversible.

That was never the argument. The problem that was raised over the
simulation of people (and measurements) in a quantum computer was that
measurement involves the formation of permanent records through
decoherence.

Measurement with permanent records is a red herring. One may define measurement as an observations with a permanent record. But we can perfectly observe things without there ever going to be permanent records.

And many copies of the results so that many different
observers can check what has been done.

If no one can ever check what I have observed right now, that doesn't mean that I didn't make that observation. At most you can argue that to other observers I will be in a superposition of different observations.

Decoherence is also necessary
to find a measurement basis that is robust against decoherence in the
environment.

Yes, but that's irrelevant to observation.

QCs can never do this. A quantum computer is not adapted
to the formation of permanent records, and it goes to great lengths to
avoid decoherence.

Decoherence and permanent records are irrelevant for observation.

 Consequently, a person simulated in a computer can
report that he has achieved all sorts of results, but he cannot
produce any evidence of this.

Unlike in criminal law. the laws of physics do not care about the lack of evidence.

Personal memories are not scientific
evidence.

What matters is that personal memories can form, not that it can serve as evidence to convince others later.

And it is doubtful if even personal memories could be
created in a quantum computer -- QCs do not produce any permanent
records before the final result is printed out, and personal memories
are a form of (semi-)permanent record.

That's irrelevant for the formation of personal memories, if it is later reversed, then the memories did exist.

Saibal

Bruce

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLT1VtJbFiuTS7Uaa_BVd0eJibmSxndi-b1Y5hA0HoUgVA%40mail.gmail.com
[1].