on 2006-07-12 klockan 19:13 +0200 skrev Philip Van Hoof:
> It simply looks like Evolution developers didn't know where to stack all
> these Evolution libraries. And thought .. oh, we already had this
> "Evolution data server" thing .. lets simply put it there.

During the 2.6 development phase and the Win32 porting (spring 2005,
roughly), many functions were identified that were duplicated (!) in the
evolution-data-server, evolution and evolution-exchange modules
("module" in the CVS sense). They were kept in/moved to libedataserver,
simply because that seemed to be the best place as everything else
linked to it already anyway, and I didn't want to add yet another
library.

There used to be, even earlier, a module called gal ("GNOME Application
Library" I think) containing a library libgal, which got scrapped
(presumably because nothing except Evolution (and e-d-s) used it despite
its name) from which some of these functions had been copy-pasted. In
retrospect, perhaps scrapping libgal wasn't a good idea after all, maybe
it should just have been renamed, to libevolution-and-friends or
whatever?

Somebody please correct me if my memory serves me wrong...

--tml