One thing you could do which would be of use would be to sniff the
packets that Outlook sends to Google Mail's IMAP and log them for the
Evolution developers to read so that perhaps they can see what queries
Outlook is doing that is so much faster than what Evolution is doing and
maybe try to mimic Outlook.

I have a feeling, though, that the main reason Evo is so much slower
than Outlook is due to the summary info gathering which (used to?) grab
all the mailing-list headers as well as the normal stuff in order to be
able to vfolder on mailing-list.

Jeff