On Mo, 2011-09-12 at 07:56 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 10:32 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > Milan, can you shed some light on why the patch solves #655253? I fail
> > to see what e_cal_backend_file_modify_object() has to do with deleting
> > one occurrence of a repeatable event.
> >
> > If the EXDATE was really necessary to avoid having the original and the
> > detached recurrence show up, then IMHO adding the EXDATE only works
> > around the real problem. The real problem is more likely to be in the
> > matching against RECURRENCE-ID.
>
>       Hi,
> sure, the thing why I added it there is that when you move one instance
> of a recurring event to another hour, then you are asked whether you
> want to change time for all instances or only this instance. Moving only
> this instance should create a detached instance, and create an exception
> in the master object.

No, creating the exception is not necessary.

Suppose you have a VEVENT with RRULE which expands to a regular start
time of one recurrence at, say, 20110912T090000Z. Then the detached
recurrence must have RECURRENCE-ID:20110912T090000Z and it will
*replace* the regular recurrence without having to add an EXDATE to the
parent. That's part of the iCalendar 2.0 semantic.

> Note the issue wasn't shown when you did it, but only when you restart
> evolution and e-calendar-factory, because the backend sends you the
> master object without exceptions and a detached instance.

I still think that the recurrence generation is really at fault. This
seems to be a regression, the bug does not occur in Evolution 2.32.4.

> Do you think there is a better solution for this?

I would have to investigate some more. I compiled Evolution master in a
chroot, but I haven't tried to actually run it yet - this is my main
work machine. No promise that I'll get around to it soon. I want to
release SyncEvolution 1.2 or at least the final release candidate this
week before going on vacation end of the week.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly