On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:32:15PM -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 19:47, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > Btw, after some finishing touches, I intend to release a perl script to
> > help integrate evolution email folders with email text editors, such as
> > mutt, which is great, but does not do imap, calendar and contacts as
> > good as evolution does, besides being a terrific email client.
>
> I've actually written one myself already, as I'm constantly on the
> lookout for "the perfect" e-mail client for *nix.  There isn't one, by
> the way.  =:\  But evolution is the closest thing to a complete e-mail
> client that I've seen in 12+ years of using *nix.  I've used the

Yes, however, evolution does not yet solve the problems of remote
connections (ssh, for instance) a sudden need for a text console.

> attached perl script more times than I care to remember, and it works
> for what I need it for and has come in very handy as evolution has
> progressed to the point of being my main e-mail client, along with mutt
> and balsa.
> This script will create an mbox-spool-type directory structure with
> symlinks to evolution's mbox files wherever you tell it to, and coming
> from wherever you tell it to.  Incidentally, I first tried this in
> reverse--leaving the real mbox files in my mbox directory structure and
> creating an evolution directory structure that had the symlinks
> ("~/Mail/Inbox -> ~/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox").

I actually don't care about the format of the mailbox, since evolution
calls mbox to mbox style and maildir style (haven't checked mh, but I'd
suspect it will call them mbox anyway):

folder/mbox
   or
folder/mbox/{new,cur,tmp}

I just get folder as a name to symlink.
with subfolders (this here has a caveat, I ignore mbox on folders that
have subfolders - except for inbox), I make a directory to contain all
sublinks.

> This, however, doesn't work, as evolution first removes the symlink and
> then recreates the file when it goes to save changes to an mbox file.
> I've never understood why this is done, and it annoys the heck out of
> me, as I'd much prefer to have simply been able to use my 8-year+
> accumulated mbox-spool directory with evolution, rather than convert it
> all to evolution's directory structure.

yeah, but I really don't see much of a chance of doing that easily.

cheers, rms