On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 04:20, Mikael Wahlberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 09:58, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
>

> > I dont think the configuration dialogs should be bloated, but things
> > should still be easy to do. And by trying to keep the user from being
> > able to change a option like editor you are trying to force the user to
> > work in a way you have planed. This is not the correct way to look at
> > things, just keep it simple and let the user have it's freedom (and that
> > includes the freedom to get stuck in vim, if that what the user have
> > asked for...)
>
> I totally agree with Mattias. Don't make the users more stupid than they
> are. Default configuration should of course be a simple non-vim editor
> environment, but making the possibility to change the editor hard to
> find does not make any sense.

I'm not going to argue that we should only allow it in an almost
impossible to find place, but we should think long and hard before
including a gui configuration for it.  Perhaps the person has to click
on advanced at least once.  99.9% (add lots of 9s here) of people in the
world, if given the task of sending an email, would really be best
served by just using gtkhtml.  Hopefully they wouldn't even know it was
html.

It's a good point that one of the tenets of free software is choice.
However, anyone who is knowledgeable enough to want to use emacs or vi
here will be knowledgeable enough to figure out how to change a text
file somewhere or run a helper app.  If you can find someone who isn't,
I'd be impressed.

> Anyways, in Evo, I don't think getting stuck in vim is a big problem,
> the user just have to close the composer window to get out :-)

Yes, but they'll never be able to write an email again.  Especially
since evolution settings would persist across uninstalling and
reinstalling evolution.  They may even have to resort to creating a new
user or uninstalling and reinstalling the whole OS to get it to work
again.  At the very least, they're going to have to call up their hacker
friend to fix it.

Thanks,
   Chris