On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 09:02 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:05 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > > Then we can debate an appropriate default for the preference.
> >
> > If we're exposing it in the UI *instead* of the existing 'Reply' action,
> > then it really *has* to be private by default. The existing UI action
> > sends private mail, and we can't sensibly change that. Least
> > catastrophic failure mode and all that. So again it would only benefit
> > those who are paying sufficient attention to configure it in the first
> > place, which makes it rather pointless.
>
> One way around this would be to have a third state for the preference
> called "ask me", and make that the default.  So upon clicking Reply to a
> mailing list post with the preference in the "ask me" state, you get
> this prompt:

>         evolution-list@gnome.org
>

>     [x] Remember my choice for next time
>

>                 [ Cancel ]  [ Reply to List ]  [ Reply to Sender ]

> Checkmarking "remember my choice" would move the preference out of the
> "ask me" state, unless of course you click Cancel.

Hm, still plenty of scope for a user to think that means *only* for the
evolution list and say 'remember my choice', then to be surprised when
they accidentally reply in public to *another* list which they may not
even have realised was a list.

Compare your 'ask me' mode with what's already implemented in my tree,
though -- http://david.woodhou.se/reply-nag.png

Do we really need the 'Remember my choice for next time' mode when the
correct button is *RIGHT* *THERE* for the user to press if they wanted
it?

--
dwmw2