On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 03:21 +0100, ref...@gmx.net wrote:
> These kind of response is pretty crap.
> Q. I use program A on distro B and have problem X.
> A. Throw your setup into the bin, everyone knows that distro B is
> useless.
> The answer is not only unhelpful as it does not suggest any
> alternatives nor gives actual reason or evidence to support such
> drastic action, but it is also manifestly wrong in this particular
> situation.

Evidence? I've been on this list for a decade.  The issues with Ubuntu
for the last couple of years are pretty clear.  What is technically
broken there?  How should I know?!  I don't use it.  I use openSUSE all
day every day - I do not see these issues.

> OP, I have a problem like yours dt a very flaky mail server (Microsoft
> provided) which occasionally and without good reason locks me out with
> an erroneous message that my password is wrong. Evo will then start
> asking for passwords.

Which seems entirely reasonable - if the server said the password is
wrong.

I'm curious if this is for IMAP/IMAPX/POP3?  Does it matter if you
change the check-for-new mail interval?  Perhaps there is actually a
rate-limit issue.

>  I found the solution to be to cut Evo out of the mail collecting
> business. I use getmail and offlineimap instead for the mail
> collection and use Evo simply as a GUI for mail writing, reading and
> administering. Both mentioned programme will simply error out when the
> remote mail server flakes,

Of course, offlineimap has no means of prompting you for a password;
this is apples & oranges.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awill...@whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383