> Von: "Adam Tauno Williams" <awill...@whitemice.org>
> An: evolution-list@gnome.org
> Betreff: Re: [Evolution] Evolution is dying
>
> On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 03:21 +0100, ref...@gmx.net wrote:
> > These kind of response is pretty crap.
> > Q. I use program A on distro B and have problem X.
> > A. Throw your setup into the bin, everyone knows that distro B is
> > useless.
> > The answer is not only unhelpful as it does not suggest any
> > alternatives nor gives actual reason or evidence to support such
> > drastic action, but it is also manifestly wrong in this particular
> > situation.
>
> Evidence? I've been on this list for a decade.  The issues with Ubuntu
> for the last couple of years are pretty clear.  What is technically
> broken there?  How should I know?!  I don't use it.  I use openSUSE all
> day every day - I do not see these issues.

Then the appropriate response is either to say nothing or ask for the things
you do known, which are distro independent.

> > OP, I have a problem like yours dt a very flaky mail server (Microsoft
> > provided) which occasionally and without good reason locks me out with
> > an erroneous message that my password is wrong. Evo will then start
> > asking for passwords.
>
> Which seems entirely reasonable - if the server said the password is
> wrong.

Yes, it is reasonable from Evo, but once you do know that it is not reasonable
in this particular situation - flaky, stupid mail server - then a different
solution needs to be found. It woudl be unreasonable to expect Evo to "fix"
this. situation

> I'm curious if this is for IMAP/IMAPX/POP3?  Does it matter if you
> change the check-for-new mail interval?  Perhaps there is actually a
> rate-limit issue.
>
> >  I found the solution to be to cut Evo out of the mail collecting
> > business. I use getmail and offlineimap instead for the mail
> > collection and use Evo simply as a GUI for mail writing, reading and
> > administering. Both mentioned programme will simply error out when the
> > remote mail server flakes,
>
> Of course, offlineimap has no means of prompting you for a password;
> this is apples & oranges.

Exactly. They do not ask, they record an error if you log them and the next
time the sever has unflaked itself they will work just fine again. Which is
what you want, if you know you have not changed your password. Now, I do not
expect that Evolution solves this particular problem.