From: Ed Crowley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 7:33 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Brick Level Backups

See FAQ Appendix F.

Brick Level Backups will not cause your car to rust out or your hair to fall
out.  They are unlikely to make your system less reliable (but no guarantees
there), nor make your normal non-brick-level backups less reliable.  They
do, however, use more tape, make your backup jobs take more time and wear
your tape drive out faster.  They give you a false sense of security that
you can get something back when in fact you may not.  And you often cannot
get everything back from a brick level backup.

Brick Level Backup is a kludgy crutch for administrators who insist on
managing their Exchange systems as if they were cc:Mail or MS Mail systems.
They want the benefits of a database e-mail architecture, but want to manage
it as if it were a file-based system.

If you follow the Ed Crowley Never Restore Method®, you can remain secure in
the knowledge that you'll almost never need to do a Brick Level Restore.
If, for some rare event you find that you need to restore a message or
mailbox, then you have a great opportunity to practice your disaster
recovery techniques on your recovery server.  What?  You don't have a
recovery server?  Well, you need one whether or not you use Brick Level
Backup.

In a nutshell, Brick Level Backups aren't evil.  But they're completely
superfluous.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP
Tech Consultant
Compaq Computer Corporation (soon to be HP)
All your base are belong to us.