On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Roger Seielstad wrote:
> Most customers who have used MS OSs since the DOS days, not to mention
> those exposed to *nix, like the ability to script just about any change
> to the OS ...

  The issue is not scripting per se, but the fact that MS Outlook and MSIE
have a long history of just running whatever the other guy sends to you,
without regard for the fact that it may be harmful to your computer.

> Do you think Microsoft pulls these features out of their nether regions?

  How else do you explain that damn paperclip?  ;-)

> So, you're not aware of the fact that with about 30 seconds worth of
> work (literally), you could write a script that would alleviate all
> these scripting vulnerabilities on all your machines?

  Why should *I* have to clean up after *Microsoft's* mistakes?  I paid good
money for their software; it is unreasonable to expect it to be secure in
the default configuration?

> Again, the onus here rests on the Administrator ...

  What about the millions of home users who don't know even know how to
spell VBS?

  The estimates I hear state that viruses and worms due to poor design on
Microsoft's part cost billions of dollars per year.  Don't you think
billions of dollars is a bit much?

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>