From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 16 November 2001 10:21
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Log in to user's mailboxes

Hi!

I've been asked one thing that some of you may have already been asked to
do before: access a user's mailbox and get a backup of everything in
there.

I'll not discuss the legal/ethical questions about this. I *really* need
to get that information to my boss.

I've searched Microsoft KB and found two articles: "Q147354 XADM: Service
Account Can Log In to any Mailbox" and "Q147362 XADM: Event ID: 1016
Logged Incorrectly in Application Event Log"

So, I've logged in to a machine using the account that is used to start
all Exchange services, then I created a profile with the user's mailbox,
but it didn't work. It complained about a lack of permissions. I then
tried to create the profile with the services account and in the "open
additional mailboxes" I specified the user's mailbox, but it didn't work
too (same lack of permissions error).

What am I doing wrong? How can I access the information?

Don't tell me to restore de server from tape to another server (no time
and no hardware available).

Thanks for your help!