I am helping someone test SMTP through telnetting into port 25.

Should any SMTP server respond to each command?
I do a 'mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[ENTER]'
and after a couple of seconds it respnds OK, blah..

Then I do 'rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[ENTER]'
and it sits there and acts stupid... no response after that.
I have tried using a valid username in the domain and also tried sending to
an outside address (myself)

Although after I left the telnet window up for about 2 minutes the window
just closed...

When I telnet to our SMTP server I get responses very quick on each command.

Barry