From: Ron Grant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 January 2002 16:15
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: detecting an Exchange server on the Network

Is there a way to find out if there is an exchange Server on a network
without knowing its name or IP? I have someone who wants to see if a
user/admin at another location is setting up email without his knowledge. I
was thinking maybe use RPC-ping, but having never used it, I'm not sure if
that would work or not, since he doesn't know ip address or name.
Anyone have a good way? Network sniffer, scanning for SMTP traffic? This
might work..but I think he wants to catch the server before it gets to that
stage.
Thanks!
Ron

BBC, unless specifically stated.