For the most part you don't need to keep either of the messages. What I've
been beating people over the head here is that I don't care that you have an
e-mail from 3 years ago stating that we would switch to Fubar Software. If
it's part of meeting, then it needs to be in the meeting minutes. If it was
part of a project, then it needs to be part of the project documentation.
Most users will tell you they are keeping e-mail so they can CYA. Bull
biscuits.

What are the attachments in the e-mails? Memo's? Documentation? Budgets? All
of this should be published to a public folder or an intranet and links sent
via e-mail. Go through you're e-mail, check the attachments and see what you
have. How much of that information is repeated again and again in your
environment? Exchange was never meant to be a storage and retrieval system.

Of course all of the about is a behavioral issue, so there is not much we
can do about it other than to educate the users.