Anyone know where I should begin looking to determine whether I am
experiencing the beginnings of a problem or whether this is just normal?

Lately I've noticed that when I open email messages in Outlook XP they
take longer to open.  Especially the big messages (from listservs and
such).  May take like 2 minutes to open the email and task manager on my
system (Windows NT) shows outlook.exe taking up 99% cpu time.  These
messages do not have attachments, I'm just talking about regular messages.

I have an Exchange 5.5/SP4 box.  I haven't noticed anything on the
Exchange servers performance reports that show a sudden increase in
CPU/memory/HD activity.  This just sorta happened about 2 weeks ago.  NO
changes have been made on the server in quite some time.

Any idea what this might be?