A few days ago I reported a problem with inbound emails getting stuck in the
IMC inbound queue.  Here are some more details:

This has happened 3 different times so far.  The first time the IMC had
stopped processing all inbound traffic.  I tried to stop it with control
panel/services but it would not stop.  I finally forcibly ended the
MSEXCIMC.EXE process with task manager and then restarted it.  The first
time the large backlog of inbound files started to flow and I was left with
4 messages that would not transfer.  I tried stopping IMC again (it would
never stop via control panel once it had seen one of these bad emails) but
it would not process them even after deleting queue.dat (while imc was
stopped).

I gave up on the 4 emails and let it run for a while but after a few hours
two more emails got stuck.  Again I had to forcibly terminate the IMC
process and delete queue.dat.  I also discovered that if I tried to view the
queues with exchange admin, that the admin program would freeze when I tried
to select the MTS-IN queue on the IMC.  I could look at the IMC inbound
queue and see the messages that weren't being processed (and they were
sitting there in the IMCDATA/IN directory).  All I could do is remove them
from the IN directory and stop/restart IMC while deleting queue.dat.  If I
tried to reintroduce one of the 'bad' messages to the IN directory (by
stopping IMC, deleting queue.dat, copying the file to IN and restarting IMC)
it would fail in the same fashion.  The weird part is that after the first
restart of IMC, it would still process other inbound emails.  This happened
a third time (with two similar messages) and again I moved them out of the
IN directory.  It has been running for a whole day now without getting stuck
on a message.  I looked at all the 'bad' messages and did not see anything
unusual about them.  I  did not see anything at all in the event log for
these messages.  I currently have all of the imc log settings at maximum in
case it happens again.

Tom