Not to get into a war of words (as this appears to be something near and
dear to your heart), often IT is put in the position to have to:

A) Save money by not spending any, period (on Exchange or any other type of
upgrades, or disk, or what have you..)

B) Provide virtually unlimited service (unlimited file share, unlimited
email storage, etc....)

These two opposing conditions are imposed on us by those far more important
than myself in an organization.  In an organization, the fact that it is
sometimes impossible to meet these two criteria at the same time if often
lost on those who make these decisions.  It happened in our organization,
and it was decided that limits should be imposed.  Did we run out of space
directly because we had no limits to begin with?  I happen to believe no
limits encourages lazy usage (storing everything, to the point where you
can't remember if you need it, so you keep it) - I certainly may be
mistaken.  It seems clear to me that if reasonable limits are imposed, and
adjusted as needs change, one can get much more use out of a system.

To speak to another of your points, sometimes "more disk drives" don't do
the trick.  Exchange (not Enterprise) imposes a software limit on the
information store.  Disk won't help if you hit that.  I agree with you that
you won't necessarily run out of space if you restrict storage.  However, I
would say its rather likely, from my experience.  It may not happen within a
week, or even a year, but users aren't typically concerned with keeping
their file and email storage neat and clean so to not fill up the server -
they have their own jobs to worry about.  Maybe the users in your
organization are different.

John J. Steniger