>It's good practice to be able to restore a
>mailbox though ...

No, it's not. Brick-level backup and restore just doesn't work well in
practice, no matter what software you use. You've seen that yourself.

If you can't deal with archiving departed user's stuff to PST files on
CD via exmerge (what we do), simply hide the mailboxes forever (a
modification of the Ed Crowley Never Restore Method). The data will
always be live in the exchange databases, should you need to get at it.
You might end up spending more money on tape backup hardware and disks
in the long run, but you'll have "instant restore", and having that data
there will not hurt performance for production users.