From: Pfefferkorn, Pete (PFEFFEPE) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 1:40 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: IMC as relay system (off topic)

Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Sorry to post this again.  Maybe someone new has some information.

Well the system that processes the @UC.EDU aliases for the University
finally took a big hit.  Its a VMS system running PMDF and is run in a
different department.  We've been asked to look at alternative replacement
systems.  The system is processing about 40,000 inbound messages a day.  I
really like the Exchange IMC since it's menu driven and I have monitors in
place that can page when something happens.  Also it does some validation
work, such as SMTP address already used and so forth.  Couple of questions.

1) Is anyone else shoving 40,000+ inbound messages through an IMC?  We would
have a dedicated box for this function in the existing site and would only
be used for inbound messages destined for @UC.EDU.  It would also route
messages to other e-mail systems such as our student POP/Unix based
messaging system for those users whos alias points to an alternate system.

2) Is there some other 3rd party product that is user friendly (versus text
updates) that might be a good replacement that anyone might want to
recommend?

3) We could go with a Linux system with an SMTP mailer.  We do have a
administrator on staff here that runs the POP system and a Linux deployment
was mention.  I don't like the fact that its line based and additions are
not immediate and require recompiling (maybe don't have that term right).

Thanks!

Pete Pfefferkorn
Senior Systems Engineer/Mail Administrator
University of Cincinnati
51 Goodman Street
Cincinnati, OH  45221
Phone - (513) 556-9076