I thought Ed was the originator of the "there are rarely technological
solutions to behavioral problems" comment?????

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Nicholson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 November 2002 6:30 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Command Switch or 3rd Party software for Send/Recieve on
OXP

Well... First of all, Chris isn't being a jerk.  In addition, if you're
using your client's resources -- ie, the phone and the computer -- for
several hours at night, don't they deserve renumeration?

Nevertheless...

What you want is for Outlook to start, dial up the server, download
mail, hang up, and shut off.

Ok.  I suppose that might be doable, sort of.

Now, you don't mention what operating system your users are using.  I
have Win2KPro.  In START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS, there's a
program called "Scheduled Tasks".  In that, you can schedule outlook to
be launched, and if you look at the advanced properties of the task, on
the SETTINGS tab you'll see a check box for "Stop the Task if it runs
for X hours and X minutes."  That MIGHT shut outlook down.  Honestly, I
don't know.  You can test it and try.

Even if it does, there's no way for the task to know if all the mail has
been downloaded, so you'll have to guess.  Also, I doubt that this would
be a graceful shutdown, so you run the risk of causing problems with
your PSTs, which you must be using.

As Daniel said, there are rarely technological solutions to behavioral
problems.  I think this is one of those times, and the real solution is
to "fix" it very differently.

A far better solution is a VPN, as has been mentioned, or even Outlook
Web Access, which might be somewhat faster than POPing.

Did you look at the technet article Chris kindly posted?

Drew Nicholson
Technical Writer
Network Engineer
LAN Manager