From: Ed Crowley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 5:28 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: E2K front-end and back-end in different domains?

If it works, why would you call PSS?

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP kcCC+I
Tech Consultant
hp Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Ken Cornetet
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 2:26 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: E2K front-end and back-end in different domains?

A while back I queried the group about putting E2K front-end servers in
a different domain (but same forest) than the backend servers. A couple
of people responded that they could indeed be in different domains and
were in fact running that way.

Based on that positive feedback, I decided to try it out in test, and lo
and behold it does seem to work (very limited testing so far...).

Now the weird part: While perusing the Microsoft document titled
"Exchange Front-end and Back-end Topology White Paper" for firewall
information, I found a blurb on page 16 that specifically states that
back-end servers must be in the same domain as the front-end servers. I
had missed that entirely in previous reads!

This paper is dated July 2000. I'm hoping that this is either wrong, or
outdated (superceded by a service pack perhaps?) Does anyone have any
references showing that this supported?

I really hate to burn a PSS call on this...