From: Herold Heiko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 5:00 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Moving Exchange Database

Double Bummer!
It seems I had a moment of dyslexia - what I'm about to deploy is a SAN, not a NAS.
SANs are supported. As a matter of fact the idea is to keep running only
differential backups (logs only, all the logs) every night. Once a month (or less,
tuning will be needed, fortunately we have the whole sunday available as
a downtime window):
- full online backup.
- stop exchange services.
- detach a mirror of the databases. Offline backup of the whole server (os
ecc.) except the databases. Restart of services.
- backup the detached mirror of the databases (offline backup of the db files, added
with the backup of the previous step this constitutes a whole offline
backup).
- reattach and sync that mirror to the (already running online) master discs.

In case of need for a single mailbox restore (really has been needed only twice in 3
years, the Ed Crowley metod works fine): on a spare identical box
(spare network) restore the whole offline os backup and databases. Restore online logs
if neccesary, restore mailbox.

In case of disaster recovery:
Ditto, then move server to main network.

Supposed advantage: This should minimize restore time, since there's no need for the
reinstallation of OS, service packs, exchange, service packs. Also the
restore time of the databases as a offline file restore should be less than a restore
of the exchange db.

Disadvantage: from time to time (once a month ? once a week) a downtime window is
needed, for the time neccessary to stop services, OS backup, start
services.

Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A.            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Via Ferretto, 1            ph  x39-041-5907073