The problem with replying to old emails from users in the existing exchange
organisation, is that exchange doesn't store the email address of the user
who sent the message. Rather, it stores the DN (distinguished name) of the
user who sent the message, i.e. /o=some
org/ou=something/cn=recipients/cn=theuser , rather than
SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED] This is basically what allows you to see the full
details of a user when you double click on their name in outlook (it uses
the DN to query the directory to get the information).

Therefore, the new Exchange server won't know who the old person was to
reply to email, because the DN of the new user account is different to the
old one.  If you use the available migration tools to migrate accounts, the
"LegacyExchangeDN" attribute can be populated on the Windows 2000 accounts,
and Exchange 2000 will use this for replying to old emails, making everyone
happy

Migrating content via PST's is ok, but use the migration tools to push
accounts into Win2k AD so that the legacy attribute gets populated (or
script it), otherwise it could get very ugly very quickly.

To see this in action, open a PST file with messages in it from inside the
organisation on an outlook client that has no knowledge of your environment
(disconnected outlook client,  no offline address book etc). Open the
message, and double click on the sender.  The display name will be populated
with the DN, and all other fields will be blank.

This will also affect calender items etc as discussed below.

I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong :)

Glenn