Ed, since you use this example often, can you provide me with some real world
examples of someone being burglarized because their OOO message told the
world they were away?  I think I am more likely to be burglarized by a
neighbour that notices I am gone, or someone that sees my postbox has been
emptied in days, or someone overhearing me order plane/train tickets, etc.

This issue has also been discussed on the urban legend debunking site, Snopes.
The link is http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/reply.htm

I look forward to hearing your opinion or some proof of this happening.

Cheers,
Allison