First, let me say that I understand what your saying if you are saying that
you are concerned about the 1% and wish to help make the internet a better
place by assisting them to control viruses on their computers.

Now for my POV
The one percent are basically causing the hardliners to spam the rest of us.
Because most of the virus mail you receive is spoofed, leaving on the
warning send back is the same as spamming.
Basically you will be accusing someone of having a virus that they do not
have, generating bad will between your company and the one you just spammed.
I am speaking from person experience. One company late last week, sent us 5
e-mails indicating that we were infected with the active virus at that time.
We were not infected, but because we are good admins, we sat down and
verified that we were not infected, wasting our time. We knew the virus lied
about the FROM address, but we checked anyway just to be safe. We then
called the offending party(The company that spammed us). They told us we
were infected and we deserved to get the message. Needless to say, we
informed them what the virus does, and they said they could do nothing about
the messages as they wanted to stop others from spreading infection. BTW,
did I mention that their e-mail said that we wasted their time because we
did not have a e-mail scanner on our systems? Needless to say, I will
probably never do business with that ISP. They proved that they did not care
about corporate relations, proper etiquette or virus control in general.

The other problem with this is that the hardliners are propagating a 99%
false positive system. If my AV system was that bad, I would get a new one.
Heck my spam system does better that 3% false positive. What is worse is
that the false positives are going to people who did not 'sign up' in the
first place.(Hence the spam title)

Basically, to me, this comes down to a matter of fairness. If the hardliners
believe it is ok to call 100 people 'jerks' just because one of them has a
foul mouth, go right ahead, but they will find it hard to make friends. If
on the other hand, they instead pay attention to what your receiving and
respond only where you have proof of 'jerkiness', they will have no problem
making friends and they will make the community much happier. (No one likes
a jerk)

Michael